How Winning Companies Adjust in a Down Economy02/01/2023
Unlock the Rewards of an Intentional Sales Hiring Plan02/22/2023
When Should You Hire a Fractional Sales Leader?
You might be wondering if it’s time to hire a sales manager – but how do you know if you’re ready?
Many of my clients find me at this crossroad in their business. As a Fractional Sales Leader, part of my expertise is to be helpful in a variety of ways that include creating strategies to help your business achieve optimal growth. So you may be asking, what can I do differently as a fractional sales leader, to set you up for long-term success when you are considering hiring full-time sales manager instead.
Let’s take a look:
- I’m here to serve as a sounding board while you assess what your salespeople need to perform at a higher level.
- Once you are ready to bring in a full-time sales manager let me help you source, screen, and secure the right person.
- Most importantly, you can trust that with my expertise and guidance you will be guided to better understand your company’s readiness to make the most out of investing in a dedicated sales manager.
SCENARIO 1: You need to free up your time immediately.
Managing a sales team and running your company are two different roles. Even so, it’s common that the owner or top executive wear both hats during a business’ various growth stages.
If you’re starting to feel spread too thin, it’s important not to rush when establishing the right staffing plan to take the sales load off your shoulders.
SCENARIO 2: You don’t have a proven sales platform in place
You know when activity in your sales department hits the point that it needs a dedicated resource to drive results to the next level. What isn’t clear is whether your company is ready for a full-time sales manager to make the right impact.
An interim sales leader with an executive-level background can be your secret weapon to establish strategic positioning, proven sales methodology, and structure/systems essential in taking your business to the next level. Utilizing the skills and expertise of a seasoned expert early on can be crucial for success and quickly establish the reliable foundation needed to fuel sustained, long-term growth.
After that, a dedicated sales manager with exceptional tactical skills becomes a high-impact resource to drive sales growth long-term.
SCENARIO 3: You're not sure how to structure for growth
Growing and structuring your sales team can be challenging, especially in competitive markets. There are some key signs to look for that may indicate it’s time to make changes.
For instance, slowing revenue can be a sign that you need to rethink your sales strategy and its associated selling roles.
Or, perhaps you’ve noticed an increase in competition — this could mean more resources and staff are needed to increase, or even hold on to, your market share.
Just as in other areas of your business, “Right People, Right Seats” will need to continually evolve in the sales department as strategy is adjusted to reach next level growth goals.
Start by asking yourself these foundational questions:
- Does my product fit into multiple verticals?
- What is the level of complexity of my product and sales process?
- Which industries will my new accounts come from?
- What percentage of my business is coming from returning customers vs new?
- How broad are the geographic regions or territories my team focuses on?
- …and many more!
When should you hire a Fractional Sales Leader before a full-time Sales Manager?
- When you need to free up time quickly to focus on the rest of your business
- When you don’t have a proven sales platform in place.
- When you aren’t sure your environment is set-up for a sales manager to be successful
- When your sales strategy is no longer working, and you aren’t sure how to fix it.
- When you aren’t experienced structuring your sales team for growth
Have you considered hiring a fractional sales leader? Let me show you how I can make your business better. Contact me at (404) 271-6767, via email at [email protected], or book a call through my Scheduling Tool.
I am part of a national group of Senior Sales Leaders who collaborate to share insights like the examples shown in this article. We formed because of our shared passion to help business leaders exponentially grow their revenue.